Bread is a staple food in many parts of the world. Surely a food that we eat so often should offer us a lot more than just carbohydrates and energy nutritionally? Surely you would want to know that you are packing more into your child’s lunchbox (or your own for that matter)? Everything in life has changed, shouldn’t your bread? Let’s take a look at what bread can offer, so you know exactly what to look out for when you buy your next loaf.
Protein may not be the first nutrient that pops to mind when you think of bread traditionally, but that doesn’t mean that finding a high protein bread is impossible. Not only will choosing a bread that is high in protein contribute to reaching your daily protein requirements, including protein in your meals also improves the satiety value (feeling of fullness) of food and assists with weight management.
Ordinary white and brown breads are high GI. Low GI foods are digested, absorbed and metabolised more slowly than foods with a medium or high GI. The end result of choosing low GI foods (in this instance bread), is that energy (sugar) levels remain more stable and you stay fuller for longer. Low GI food choices can therefore assist in diabetes management, weight loss and your all-round feeling of wellbeing.
HIGH IN FIBRE
The average man and woman require 38g and 25g of fibre respectively each day3. Most everyday breads (white and brown) contain less than 1g of fibre per slice. If you are eating bread frequently and are not choosing a high fibre option, you may well find that reaching your daily fibre requirement becomes quite a tough task. But why do you need fibre? Well gastrointestinal health, disease prevention, weight management, blood glucose control, cholesterol reduction to name but a few reasons.
Most breads contain 5 vitamins and 2 minerals and that is about it in terms of extras. However, bread can offer more if the manufacturer chooses to include them. Look out for extra micronutrients (vitamins and minerals), omega-3 and additional grains and seeds, all of which can make a positive contribution to your overall health. Your bread can give you more than you think!
INTRODCING FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN BREAD RANGE
FUTURELIFE®, a functional food company has launched an exciting new range of breads to suit every consumer’s needs. This is South Africa’s first and only NON-GMO, vegan friendly range of breads, where you have various options:
- FUTURELIFE® High Protein Brown Bread
- This high Protein Bread is Low GI, High in Fibre and contains quality grains in a unique formulation that is a source of Omega-3 as well as 13 vitamins and 4 minerals.
- FUTURELIFE® High Protein Oats & Honey Flavoured Brown Bread
- This Low GI bread combines whole oat grains with the goodness of our NON-GMO ingredients, scientifically formulated to be High in Protein and Fibre and a source of omega 3. With a touch of honey flavour, this bread is wholesome and delicious.
- FUTURELIFE® High Protein Ancient Grain Brown Bread
- This bread is Low GI, High in Fibre, and nutritionally dense, containing the goodness from a carefully selected blend of 3 ancient grains, 2 seeds and rolled oats all in a delicious, High Protein, NON-GMO, source of omega-3 brown bread.
Bread plays a big role in many of our daily diets and it can offer so much more nutritionally than we may believe. The world has changed, and we can now buy breads that are high in protein, high in fibre, low GI and nutrient-packed!!