Can FUTURELIFE® make me fat?
The simple answer is “No”. FUTURELIFE® cannot make you fat when eaten as part of a healthy eating plan. Weight gain is largely related to your eating behaviour (such as comfort eating or snacking) and your activity levels, rather than the type of food itself. If you eat too much and you are less active you will gain weight. I.e. if your energy input outweighs your energy output you will gain weight.
FUTURELIFE® Smart food™ provides complete nutrition with an internationally recommended blend of energy from Carbohydrates, Proteins and Fats (AMDR**), 21 Vitamins and Minerals delivering 50% daily requirements for most (NRVs***), and additional functional ingredients# in a 50g serving with low fat milk.
**International Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Ranges (AMDR) recommendation summary: https://www.nutritionsociety.co.za/2018/06/21/fact-sheet-dietary-recommendations-for-health/
*** Nutrient Reference Values (NRV’s) for individuals 4 years & older: http://www.health.gov.za/index.php/shortcodes/2015-03-29-10-42-47/2015-04-30-09-10-23/2015-04-30-09-11-35/category/207-regulations-labelling-and-advertising?download=746:guidelines-relating-to-the-labelling-and-advertising-of-foodstuffs-applicable-to-r146-2010-for-compliance-purposes
# Including fibre, inulin and immune-modulation MODUCARE®
If you are trying to lose weight or maintain weight it is suggested that women should have 4 to 5 heaped tablespoons of FUTURELIFE® Smart food™ at a time with water or low fat milk. We recommend that men have 5 to 7 tablespoons as a portion serving size. If one complies with these guidelines, you will only consume between 5% to 15% of your daily nutritional intake.
In conclusion, eating the recommended serving size of FUTURELIFE® Smart food™, as part of a healthy eating plan, cannot make you fat.
If my goal is to gain weight, can I use FUTURELIFE® to gain weight healthily?
In very simple terms, if your energy intake (food and drinks) is the same as the energy you use up, then your weight will be stable. If you want to gain weight you will need to increase your energy intake. To avoid losing muscle, it is not recommended to decrease your energy use (physical activity).
FUTURELIFE® Smart food™ can help you to increase your energy intake:
- Have it as a shake, smoothie or meal
- Mix it with milk to increase energy value and add other ingredients (peanut butter, fruit, nuts etc.)
- It is convenient and quick
- It is nutritionally balanced so you can have it as a meal or snack
- When replacing a meal, try consuming 50-75g of FUTURELIFE® Smart food™ (4-7 heaped tablespoons)
- When consuming it as a snack, use 30-40g of FUTURELIFE® Smart food™ (2-3 heaped tablespoons)
- FUTURELIFE® shakers make transporting and preparing your shake even easier
- If you need to gain a lot of weight, you can increase portions or add a serving with your usual meal
- Try to eat a balanced diet, making carbohydrates the basis of your diet, but also including protein and fat sources with at least 5 fruits and vegetables per day. An adequate balanced diet will usually provide all the vitamins and minerals that your body requires. Try not to consume “junk foods” such as sweets, chips, biscuits and fizzy cool drinks as meals or snacks.
- These should be kept as treats as they provide you with few/limited nutrients. They will not help you to pick up weight healthily.
If you wish to gain weight in the form of muscle, you will also need to include a work out regime. Muscles need good nutrition and exercise to grow. FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart food™ makes a fantastic post-workout meal or shake to repair and maintain your muscles since it contains a blend of 3 different types of proteins: whey, soy isolate and caseinate. Latest sports nutrition research has found that this blend of 3 different types of proteins is particularly effective in repairing muscles after a work-out since all 3 are absorbed at different rates and therefore give your muscles a prolonged delivery of protein for adequate recovery. You can also have peace of mind knowing that the product is completely safe and free of banned substances as it is endorsed by Informed Choice.
Remember that each person is different and if you have lost weight quite suddenly there may be an underlying cause. In such an instance it would be recommended to visit your doctor. For optimal weight gain it is also advisable to visit a Dietitian, she or he will consider your weight, height and age as well as your lifestyle, medical and personal circumstances to provide the best eating plan for you.
If I replace all my meals with the FUTURELIFE® powdered range can I lose weight?
It is important to first explain two things: Weight loss and healthy eating.
Please bear in mind that weight loss is largely related to your eating behaviour and your activity levels, rather than the type of food itself or replacing meals with one type of meal replacement. For your body to perform at its peak levels and for a person to maintain a healthy weight, your Energy Input (i.e. food you eat) and your Energy Output (i.e. activity level/exercise level) must always be in balance. If you eat less and/or burn more energy through activity, you will lose weight. Exceeding your intake of carbohydrates, proteins and fats (note: not just fats or carbohydrates alone) beyond what your body needs will result in weight gain. You should aim to balance the intake of the above nutrients.
Healthy eating is eating a diet which gives you a variety of different foods in the correct portion sizes. Nothing in excess is healthy or recommended by healthcare professionals. The South African Food-based Dietary Guidelines suggest eating a variety of protein sources, a variety of wholegrain carbohydrates, a variety of fruits and vegetables, as well as consuming good fats such as olive oil and canola oil in moderation.
In a nut shell, to lose weight in a healthy and sustained manner, one must eat a variety of foods while controlling portion sizes and incorporating regular physical activity. In essence, make sure that your energy intake does not exceed the amount of energy you burn.
FUTURELIFE® Smart food™ and FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart food™ are both complete and balanced meals, containing carbohydrates, fat and protein in the right amounts, therefore both are suitable to be eaten as a meal replacement.
FUTURELIFE® powdered range is also Low GI, and there have been numerous studies done to show the benefits of low GI meals with weight loss and therefore many people have experienced a benefit in weight loss with the FUTURELIFE® powdered range.
This is due to the fact that eating Low GI foods keep you fuller for longer as well as maintains blood sugar levels, ultimately reducing unhealthy cravings throughout the day and therefore reducing risk of eating unnecessarily.
HOWEVER even though FUTURELIFE® Smart food™ and FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart food™ can function as a meal replacement, we would not recommend replacing all your meals throughout the day with the FUTURELIFE® powdered range. The reason being is that the South African Food-Based Dietary Guidelines (SAFBDG) recommend consuming a variety of food.
Our recommendation would be to have FUTURELIFE® Smart food™ or FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart food™ as a meal (e.g. breakfast) and perhaps incorporating it into 1 – 2 snacks throughout the day. The recommended portion size of these two FUTURELIFE® powdered products is:
40g – 50g (4 heaped tablespoons) for women
50g – 75g (6 heaped tablespoons) for men
25g (2 heaped table spoons) for a snack
This will vary according to individual activity level and current weight (e.g. an 80kg rugby player will require more than a 65kg moderately active lady). When replacing meals with FUTURELIFE® powdered range, be sure to control your portion size. FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart food™ or FUTURELIFE® ZERO Smart food™ are however our recommended choices for weight management.
Please visit our website www.futurelife.co.za for an array of healthy eating plans to assist you as a guideline or visit your local dietician for a comprehensive eating plan specific to your requirements.
Is FUTURELIFE® ZERO Smart food™ suitable for weight loss?
To answer your question, it is important to know that weight loss can only be achieved by living and practicing a healthy lifestyle. This doesn’t only include diet but also includes physical, mental and emotional health. It is important for this healthy way of life to become part of your everyday practice and to set goals that are both achievable and sustainable.
FUTURELIFE® ZERO Smart food™ is the first and only scientifically formulated Low GI food to contain no added cane sugar, only 1.5g of fat per serving, combine 19 Vitamins and Minerals, 19 Amino Acids, Inulin (prebiotic), Selenium and MODUCARE®. It is also part of the Discovery Vitality Healthy Food benefits program.
We recommend FUTURELIFE® ZERO Smart food™ as one of the choices for your weight loss meal plan. The reason for this is because per 100g it has 7.5% less kilojoules, 64% less fat and 56% less sugar than our FUTURELIFE® Smart food™. We recommend a portion serving size of 40g (4 heaped tablespoons) of FUTURELIFE® ZERO Smart food™ mixed with water (or skimmed milk) which provides 552kJ, 7.2g of protein and only 1.5g of fat.
A recommended portion of FUTURELIFE® ZERO Smart food™ contributes only 8.5% to your total daily kilojoule requirements if on a 6500KJ weight loss eating plan. The average female requires around 8400KJ per day.
Key features of FUTURELIFE® ZERO Smart food™ include:
- Providing a total of 42 nutrients, it is high in 13 Vitamins (A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, B12, C, D, E, H and K), 5 minerals (chromium, iodine, iron, selenium and zinc), a source of copper and formulated with 19 amino acids.
- It is also high in protein and a source of Omega-3 fatty acids.
- It’s high in dietary fibre and has been scientifically formulated with a unique blend of soluble and insoluble fibre. These include maize, acacia fibre, inulin (prebiotic), soy and rice to assist in optimum gut health.
- It has a low Glycaemic Index (GI), releasing sustained energy over a longer period of time, keeping you fuller for longer and assisting in blood glucose management. It is therefore suitable for Diabetics.
- It is formulated with MODUCARE®, a daily immune supplement, made from a patented blend of natural plant sterols and sterolins, in a clinically proven ratio of 100:1. MODUCARE® is supplied exclusively to FUTURELIFE® under license from Aspen Pharmacare.
- It has ZERO added cane sugar, and in turn has been formulated with Smart Sweetness™, an effective combination of Stevia (a naturally occurring sweetener 300 times the sweetness of sugar), zero calorie Erythritol and Sucralose.
- It is free from most common occurring allergens, preservatives, colourants, trans fatty acids and cholesterol.
FUTURELIFE® Smart food™ can also be used as part of a weight-loss eating plan however we recommend FUTURELIFE® ZERO Smart food™ and FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart food™ as the most suitable options. If using FUTURELIFE® Smart food™ we recommend a serving size of 40-50g (4-5 tablespoons) mixed with water or skimmed milk.
Many people have used FUTURELIFE® for weight loss purposes and if you would like to read their testimonials, read articles or see an array of eating plans as a guideline, these are available on our website.
Is FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart food™ suitable for weight loss?
To answer your question, it is important to know that to achieve healthy and sustained weight loss it can only be done by living and practicing a healthy lifestyle. This doesn’t only include diet but also includes physical, mental and emotional health. It is important for this healthy way of life to become part of your everyday practice and to set goals that are both achievable and sustainable.
FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart food™ is the first and only scientifically formulated, Low GI food to combine 23 Vitamins and Minerals, 19 Amino Acids, SmartProtein3D , Omega-3, Inulin (prebiotic), Selenium and SUPRO® Soy Protein Isolate. FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart food™ is the meal choice for athletes at the High Performance Centre (HPC) at the University of Pretoria, is endorsed by Informed-Choice and is part of the Discovery Vitality Healthy Food benefits program.
FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart food™ is an excellent choice to include in a weight-loss meal plan and is preferred over FUTURELIFE® Smart food™. The reason for this is because when compared, it has a lower fat, sugar, carbohydrate and overall energy contribution. We recommend a portion size of 50g (5 heaped tablespoons) of FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart food™ mixed with water which provides 705kJ, 15g of protein and 2.6g of fat. You can also mix it with skimmed milk.
Key features of FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart food™ include:
- Providing a total of 47 nutrients, it is high in 13 Vitamins (A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, B12, C, D, E, H and K), contains 10 minerals (calcium, chromium, copper, iodine, iron, manganese, molybdenum, phosphorus, selenium and zinc) and is formulated with 19 amino acids.
- It is High in Protein, formulated with SmartProtein3D®, a scientific blend of 3 protein sources (Whey, Caseinate, Soy Protein) for a more balanced amino acid profile than a single protein source. *
- FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart food™ has been formulated with SUPRO®, a Soy Protein Isolate. Sourced from soybeans, the protein is ‘isolated’ from the rest of the soybean components, making it 90-95% protein. Containing all the essential amino acids, it is equal in quality to animal protein, contains no cholesterol, and is almost fat free. SUPRO® is beneficially added into our unique SmartProtein3D blend and is a registered trademark of DuPont or its affiliates.
- It is high in dietary fibre and Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Contains Inulin, a soluble fibre with prebiotic properties, providing food for the good bacteria in your gut to ensure optimal digestion and immune support Contains Inulin, a soluble fibre with prebiotic properties, providing food for the good bacteria in your gut to ensure optimal digestion and immune support.
- It has a low Glycaemic Index (GI), releasing sustained energy over a longer period of time, keeping you fuller for longer and assisting in blood glucose management. It is therefore suitable for Diabetics.
- It has been endorsed by Informed-Choice, a quality assurance program which provides confidence to sports people that the products they support have been clinically tested for banned substances. For more information go to www.informed-choice.org
- It is free from most common occurring allergies, preservatives, colourants, trans fatty acids and cholesterol.
- It can be enjoyed as breakfast, lunch or dinner, as a meal replacement shake, or as in-between snack.
FUTURELIFE® Smart food™ may indeed also be used as part of a weight-loss eating plan however we recommend FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart food™ or FUTURELIFE® ZERO Smart food™ as a more suitable option. If using FUTURELIFE® Smart food™, we recommend a serving size of 40-50g (4-5 tablespoons) mixed with water or skimmed milk.
Many people have used FUTURELIFE® for weight loss purposes and if you would like to read their testimonials, articles or see an array of eating plans as a guideline these are available on our website.
Which FUTURELIFE® product is suitable for a low carbohydrate diet approach?
FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart food™ could be considered to form part of the low carbohydrate diet approach. FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart food™ is a high protein convenient meal for an on the go breakfast or snack.
How much carbohydrates do the FUTURELIFE® Smart Food powdered products contain per recommended portion size?
||Recommended serving size
||Amount of Carbohydrates
|FUTURELIFE® Smart food™
|FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart food™
|FUTURELIFE® ZERO Smart food™
Our recommendation would be for the low carbohydrate diet approach to incorporate FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart food™ as part of your eating plan. If you’re looking for a low carbohydrate, high protein snack you can also try out FUTURELIFE® High Protein LITE SmartBar.
Can I have sugar if I am living with Diabetes?
People who have Diabetes usually have higher blood sugar levels due to insulin resistance or having too little insulin in their blood stream. When we eat sugar, it will increase our blood sugar levels. People with Diabetes are therefore advised to rather use artificial sweeteners instead of regular table sugar to help control their blood sugar levels. But it is not only sugar that has an effect on blood sugar levels and because of this is there a place for sugar in the diabetic diet?
The glycemic index, or GI, is the measure of the effects of carbohydrates on blood sugar levels. All carbohydrates, which include starches like bread, cereal, rice and potatoes and fruit and milk, break down to sugar during digestion. Carbohydrates that are high in fibre usually take longer to digest and will have a lower glycemic index. Low GI carbohydrates break down slowly and release sugar gradually into the bloodstream to help control blood glucose levels.
High GI food will break down quickly during digestion and release sugar rapidly into the bloodstream. Sugar itself has an intermediate GI. On its own it has the ability to push up one’s blood sugar levels. However, if you have only a small amount of sugar in combination with a low GI meal, the sugar is absorbed more slowly and does not push up blood sugar levels as quickly as when eaten on its own. This includes fructose; fruit should also rather be eaten with a meal than on its own and should preferably be limited to one portion of fruit at a time.
People with Diabetes should try to follow a healthy, balanced diet consisting of around 45-60% of the energy contribution from carbohydrates, 15-20% of the energy contribution from protein and 20-30% of the energy contribution from fat. According to the latest dietary guidelines for Diabetes sugar is allowed but should not be more than 10% of the total daily energy intake for the day. This is roughly about 6 teaspoons a day.
Food that contain sugar includes both white and brown sugar, honey, syrup, molasses, sweets and toffees, chocolates and chocolate drinks, biscuits, fruit juice, regular cold drinks and sports drinks, ice cream, desserts and puddings, tarts and cakes, jelly and custard, jams and preserves. All these foods should be limited as they are likely to contain quite a few teaspoons of sugar each and can quickly add up to too much sugar for the day.
To conclude, people with Diabetes can have sugar, but it is best to only have a small amount and to have it with a low GI meal and as part of a healthy, balanced diet.
I am a Diabetic, can I eat FUTURELIFE®?
Those living with diabetes can definitely benefit from using FUTURELIFE® products. FUTURELIFE® products are quick, convenient and can be enjoyed as a meal, shake or smoothie for breakfast, lunch, supper or snack, just add water or milk.
FUTURELIFE® Smart food™
FUTURELIFE® Smart food™ is high in protein, fibre and contains a mere 7.5g of sugar per 50g portion, which is only about one and a half teaspoons of sugar. The product is low GI, resulting in a gradual increase in blood sugar while sustaining your energy levels. It is available in four delicious flavours: Original, Chocolate, Banana and Strawberry. We recommend you have a 50g portion (5 tablespoons) mixed with water or milk as a meal and a 25g portion (2.5 tablespoons) as a smoothie or snack.
FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart food™
FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Smart food™ is high in protein, fibre and energy, and contains only 6g of sugar per 50g serving and 9g of sugar per 75g serving. Due to it being high in protein it has the lowest GI of all the FUTURELIFE® products. This product is also endorsed by both the Glycaemic Index Foundation of South Africa (GIFSA) and Diabetes South Africa (DSA), and is therefore suitable for those living with diabetes, in the correct portions. High Protein is also lower in carbohydrates providing 18g per 50g portion. FUTURELIFE® High Protein Smart Food™ is available in two flavours: Original and Chocolate.
FUTURELIFE® ZERO Smart food™
FUTURELIFE® ZERO is low GI, high in Protein, fibre, has no added cane sugar and contains only 1.5g of Fat per 40g serving. This product is suitable for diabetics and anyone trying to lose weight. FUTURELIFE® ZERO is endorsed by both the Glycaemic Index Foundation of South Africa (GIFSA) and Diabetes South Africa (DSA). We recommend you have a 40g portion (4 tablespoons) of Zero as a meal or shake.
FUTURELIFE® High protein and High Protein LITE SmartBars
FUTURELIFE® High protein and High protein LITE SmartBars are convenient foods that can be enjoyed as an on-the-go meal or snack. They are low GI, high in protein, lower in sugar when compared to the other bars and contain 4.5 – 5.4 g of sugar per 40 g serving (specific to LITE bar). It is available in two flavours: Chocolate Crunch and Peanut butter Crunch. It is suitable for diabetics as an on the go meal or snack or after exercise.
How do we know the FUTURELIFE® powdered range is low GI?
All low GI FUTURELIFE® products have the statement ‘low GI’ printed on the packaging.
The GI level is determined by an analysis performed by the GI foundation of South Africa. Products are ranked HIGH, INTERMEDIATE, or LOW depending on the effect on blood sugar levels. This GI measure is an internationally accepted measure.