Your Communications College Rovers Rugby<< BACK
Your Communications College Rovers is undeniably the most successful rugby club in KwaZulu Natal over the past 15 years, and one of the oldest.
Established in 1899 as the Durban Rugby Club, then amalgamating with Rovers Rugby club a few years later and Berea Cricket later still, the club has undergone a few name changes to get to the current College Rovers which came about from an association with ‘Maritzburg College Old Boys.
The club whose home ground is on the outer fields of Growthpoint Kings Park Stadium and sports a lovely modern club house, currently has 3 senior teams, 2 U20 teams and a ladies XV. The U20b’s is mainly a development team in which 2 or 3 of the players have never played the game before, considering which they are doing pretty well.
Over the years College Rovers has produced a host of provincial and international players some of the more familiar names being Patrick Lambie, Beast Mtawariwa, Keagan Daniel, Kyle Cooper, Gary Teichmann and Butch James to name but a few. The complete and impressive list can be seen on the Honours Boards up at the club.
It’s not very often that a player leaves College Rovers to go to another club unless they leave the province, country or move to a provincial team – hence the hash tag #ONCEAROVERALWAYSAROVER!
Website & Social media details:
- Website: www.collegerovers.co.za
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/JonssonCollegeRovers
- Twitter: @collegerovers
Achievements/Honours (In summary):
- College Rovers 1st XV has won the Moor Cup League Trophy 10 times
- Won the Murray Cup Knockout competition 10 times
- Won the National Club Championship twice in 2010 & 2012
- The 2nd XV has won the league 11 times and the knockout competition 6 times
- College Rovers U20A has won the league 8 times and the knockout 10 times