Location: Diabetes SA National Office is based in Cape Town with branches in Pretoria, Durban, PE, Kimberley, East London, Pietermaritzburg and the Western Cape
Diabetes South Africa<< BACK
Diabetes South Africa has been in operation for over 47 years, is a registered NGO/ non-profit organisation and public benefit organisation, as well as a member of the International Diabetes Federation which represents 147 diabetes organizations in 121 countries.
Mission: To prevent diabetes through ongoing awareness campaigns promoting healthy lifestyles, and to assist people with diabetes to live normal healthy lives as free as possible from serious diabetes complications.
- Increase diabetes awareness and education amongst all South Africans
- Increase diabetes prevention encouraging healthy lifestyle choices amongst all South Africans
- Increase diabetes detection rates
- Dissemination of reliable diabetes information
- Development and implementation of diabetes educational training programs to improve the understanding & management of diabetes
- Keeping up to date with the latest research results relating to the treatment and diagnosis of diabetes
- Reducing the costs of medication and services
- Improving the quality of service delivery
- Reduce discrimination against people with diabetes
ACHIEVEMENTS OVER 24 YEARS:
1. Initiating the Global Diabetes Run/Walk in South Africa and promoting it as a National Fundraising and Awareness Project in 2010. Received the Global Diabetes Run/Walk Award from the World Diabetes Foundation in 2011 for being voted one of the Top 5 Global Events creating Diabetes Awareness.
2. Denim for Diabetes Schools and Corporate Fundraising and National Diabetes S.A Awareness Project
3. Diabetes Wellness/Support Groups – Since 1991 the organisation has been instrumental in developing, mentoring and assisting over 70 groups Nationwide.
4. Diabetes Home Based Care Training: DSA W. Cape Branch developed a programme and manual approved by the Dept. of Health. This project was co-funded by the Dept. of Health and trained 360 home based carers in the area.
5. Participation in Medical Research: D.S.A. is involved in 4 research projects. Health Kick Research Project in Schools in Western Cape; Support Group Research Project; Smart2D Project and Project Mind.
6. World Diabetes Congress 2006: Diabetes S.A. was on the Local Organising Committee for this Congress held in Cape Town and played an active role in organising the Congress, working alongside the IDF and SEMSDA and DESSA.
7. Diabetes S.A. Children’s Camps: Western Cape has been organising and running diabetes educational camps for 40 years.
8. VICE PRESIDENT OF S.A: Participated in an awareness day held at the home of the National Vice President in Newlands along with the Dept. of Health.
9. PARLIAMENT – D.S.A. has assisted with screening parliamentarians at 3 wellness days and also assisted with screening the President’s personal staff at parliament.