Children are a blessing. They grow up so fast. One day they are fascinated by a rattle and the next thing they want the latest in technology. Their nutritional needs also change as they grow and it’s important to ensure you give them all they require to help their development. There are basic nutrients needed to be included in your child’s diet to ensure they get the best nutrition. Here are nutrients that every child should be getting on a daily basis.
CARBOHYDRATES AND ENERGY
With all the growing these mini copies of ourselves are doing, they require plenty of energy. Carbohydrates are the body’s most important source of energy. They help a child’s body to use fat and protein for building and repairing the body. Carbohydrates come in several different forms, but kids should be eating more of the starches and fibres and less sugar.
FUTURELIFE® Smart foodTM provides a low GI carbohydrate that provides sustained energy. The combination of SmartMaize™ and FutureSoy in FUTURELIFE® Smart foodTM not only provides energy but is high in dietary fibre.
Proteins are the building blocks of life. Proteins build a child’s body cells and help fight infection by strengthening the immune system. FUTURELIFE® Smart foodTM contains plant based high quality proteins that provide all the amino acids for building little bodies.
Fats are a great source of energy for kids and make up important parts of cells. Fats are also important by helping absorption and transport of the fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K. FUTURELIFE® Smart foodTM contains a healthy combination of good poly and mono unsaturated fats including Omega 3. Omega 3 is essential for brain development.
VITAMINS AND MINERALS
Children need an assortment of vitamins and minerals. The different vitamins and minerals have many different roles in the body. Some important vitamins and minerals that children need are listed below:
- Calcium is essential to build a child’s healthy bones and teeth. Milk and dairy are a good source of calcium.
- Iron is necessary for a child to build healthy blood that carries oxygen to cells all over the body.
- The B vitamins are essential in growing children. One of the B vitamins, folate is necessary for healthy growth and development of a child’s cells. A lack of this vitamin can cause anemia.
- Vitamin A: one of the many benefits is eye health, keeping the skin healthy, and works to prevent infection.
Many children often do not eat enough fruits and vegetables so it can be difficult to meet their needs. Fortunately FUTURELIFE® Smart foodTM is high in 13 Vitamins (A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, B12, C, D, E, H and K) and contains 8 minerals (chromium, copper, iodine, iron, manganese, molybdenum, selenium and zinc). In one serving of FUTURELIFE® Smart foodTM your child will get half of their needs of all vitamins and most minerals for the day.
Children are constantly growing, not only physically but also mentally. It can be difficult to meet all their ever changing needs but FUTURELIFE® Smart food™ is Smart food for complete nutrition. With one convenient meal you can supply them with all the adequate nutrients to develop optimally and maintain a healthy immune system.
- L. Kathleen Mahan (Author), Sylvia Escott-Stump (Author) Krause’s Food, Nutrition and Diet Therapy 11th Edition Chapter 10. Nutrition in childhood
- Ellie Whitney (Author) Understanding Nutrition 10TH(2004) ,Chapter 10: Water-soluble Vitamins: Chapter 11: Fat-soluble Vitamins: Chapter 16: Life Cycle Nutrition: